Coordinator, Communications External
Coordinator, Communications External
The communication coordinator will support the development and execution of external communications. This individual will help create messaging that will advance the visibility and impact of the company’s initiatives and programs. Responsibilities also include program management of safety-related communication initiatives, trafficking and coordination of materials for federally mandated programs, developing a variety of content and educational materials, and providing guidance across the Local Distribution Companies (LDC) to share efficiencies. This individual will demonstrate a strong combination of detail organization and program management, combined with writing and event coordination
• Manage the execution of customer communications including monthly bill insert/messaging coordination, customer correspondence content maintenance and e-newsletter development and execution.
• Assist communications with timing and execution of required safety communications including advertisements, direct mail and social media.
• Create and manage external content for safety-related programs and initiatives, including messaging, materials, and strategic communication deliverables.
• Maintain and update/edits as appropriate customer collateral pieces including doorhangers and forms.
• Assist in developing and provide execution support of communication plans.
• Identify, propose and execute communication projects, schedules and budgets as appropriate.
• Provide planning and execution support as needed for external-facing events.
• Participate in safety committees as appropriate.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work closely with Corporate Communications team to ensure consistency in messaging and education of external and internal audiences on safety initiatives.
• Develop and oversee implementation of processes and procedures on safety communications.
• Support communications and deliverables for business units including organization of annual projects and events.
• Collaborate with executives and business leaders across the company to achieve safety goals.
• Coordinate information sharing and communication activities within CorpComm team, business units and leaders.
• Role modeling honesty, respect, organizational values and fairness towards all.
• Implement and drive process improvements.
• Establish metrics to gauge effectiveness of safety communications initiatives and make recommendations for improvements based on this data.
• Monitor progress against metrics/deliverables; hold self & others accountable for results.
• Develop, track and report on success metrics that demonstrate the value of safety communications with respect to corporate and business unit objectives.
: Bachelor’s degree in Communications or similar combination education and work experience
Preferred: Experience in safety culture-centric environment
Related Work Experience:
: Minimum 3 years’ experience relevant work experience
Preferred: 3 years Corporate Communications experience; Energy sector experience
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel
Written communications skills and strong interpersonal skills
Ability to translate complex concepts into easy-to-understand and relatable ones for target audiences
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines
Ability to learn new, proprietary online tools
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Occasional Traveler (5-20% travel): The incumbent will be required to travel on occasion. Trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• The incumbent works in an office environment.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual
World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility
rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Communications & External Affairs
Southern Company Gas
Travel (Up to...):
Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Southern Company Jobs
Website : http://www.southerncompany.com
Southern Company is one of the largest energy providers in the United States. Based in Atlanta, Ga., Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states (Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power and Mississippi Power) and a growing competitive generation company.