NRG Energy, Inc.
NRG is leading a customer-driven change in the U.S. energy industry by delivering cleaner and smarter energy choices, while building on the strength of the nation's largest and most diverse competitive power portfolio. A Fortune 200 company, we create value through reliable and efficient conventional generation while driving innovation in solar and renewable power, electric vehicle ecosystems, carbon capture technology and customer-centric energy solutions. Our retail electricity providers serve almost 3 million residential and commercial customers throughout the country. More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Plum Point Energy Station is a 670 net MW coal-fired power plant located approximately 50 miles north of Memphis near Osceola, Arkansas
Duties and Responsibilities
Include but are not limited to the following:
- Operate and maintain plant support equipment.
- Monitor coal handling equipment, making adjustments and repairs as needed.
- Operate and maintain all plant mobile equipment, including but not limited to bull dozer, scraper front-end loader, locomotive, tractor, forklift, mobile crane and Fuel Yard Technician truck.
- Operate and maintain the coal handling, lime unloading and ash disposal processes and ensure permit compliance.
- Operate and monitor plant wastewater system, chemical injection and discharge systems to ensure permit compliance with town and state permits.
- Unload coal trains using the locomotive and coal unloading equipment.
- Operate the bulldozer and scraper on various grades to effectively manage an active coal pile.
- Coordinate on site rail operations and unloading with plant management and the railroad.
- Perform all building and grounds maintenance and maintain housekeeping standards in all assigned areas of responsibility.
- Complete Fuels training within one year.
- Works in cooperation with the operations department on matters pertaining to the daily operation of the plant.
- Assist other plant personnel as required to support plant operations.
Additional Responsibilities/Job Expectations
- Operate from established and well-known procedures under minimum supervision.
- Perform duties independently with only general direction given.
- Make decisions within prescribed operating and casualty procedures and guidelines.
- Execute on recurring work situations of high complexity, with occasional variations from the norm.
- Perform work in a safe manner resulting in no accidents, and in compliance with all environmental permits at all times.
- Effectively communicate information to supervision and fellow plant employees relative to the condition of the plant equipment and performance.
- Provide suggestions for plant improvements.
- Perform duties in such a way to result in an optimum cost-benefit ratio.
- Has the responsibility to both the customer and co-workers to do the job right the first time and to ensure the customer's needs are being met.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent knowledge of English, mathematics and grammar.
- Two years' experience with operating, industrial or excavating equipment is preferred (i.e., forklifts, overhead cranes, front end loader and bull dozer).
- Must successfully receive a recommended rating on the NRG Pre-Employment Skills Assessment Test.
- Must be safety and environmentally conscientious.
- Must possess good oral and written communications skills.
- Team skills are a must.
Physical Requirement s and Working Conditions
- Work on feet for12 hour periods.
- Frequent stair and ladder climbing.
- Routine lifting of 50 pounds.
- Protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some duties (e.g. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves, etc.).
- Work with hazardous materials may be required.
- Have ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals.
- Ability to discern assorted colors.
- Position requires 12 hour day and night shifts (rotating shift work) with weekend and holiday work.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
NRG Energy, Inc.
Website : http://www.nrg.com/
NRG is a Fortune 500 and S&P 500 Company is one of the country’s largest power generation and retail electricity businesses. Our power plants provide about 47,000 megawatts of generation capacity and our retail and thermal subsidiaries serve more than 2 million customers in 16 states. In addition to our generation assets, we own and operate the following subsidiary companies