Kforce Government Solutions, Inc.
Petaluma, CA, United States
With minimal supervision, transform raw untrimmed and unfinished cast silicone body parts into lifelike medical simulators by using artistic techniques as outlined below. Use assorted skill sets from pattern-making; sewing; gluing; trimming; assembling; painting; silicone sculpting; finish detail; hair punch; etc. Focus on the aesthetic appearance of all visible surfaces of the medical simulator, with the end-purpose of heightening its realism, durability, and function. Competent with pattern-making, sewing, furring and fabrication on both R&D and production units. Instruct and lead others as required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Aesthetically “process” each major silicone body part to assure overall conformity to quality standards.
• Ensure that blemishes, tears, air bubbles and similar voids are repaired and blended to be as invisible as possible.
• Remove flashing and sprues, and otherwise ‘seam’ silicone castings to blend and reduce seam visibility.
• Prepare surfaces and apply color and shading to skin castings using silicone paints.
• Thorough knowledge of the compounds and materials used by the Department.
• Dress wounds with urethane and silicone appliances, and silicone “blood.”
• Proficiently skilled in techniques for punching hair into silicone skin.
• Ability to effectively and routinely produce silicone castings from molds.
• Highly skilled in trimming, assembling, and gluing techniques, and ability to make gluing jigs.
• Assemble and glue critical areas and sub-assemblies such as head skins and throat componentry.
• Collaborate with Finishing Dept. Head and other designers to conceptualize patterns and/or plans to create fabrications for R&D and production manikins.
• With minimal supervision, generate fitting patterns and sew and/or glue functional fabrications (soft goods) out of an array of fabrics such as nylon power mesh, spandex, fur, etc.
• Proficiently skilled in fabrication using both hard and soft materials, with a developed understanding of the processes and techniques involved, such as casting; trimming; tooling; gluing; sculpting; and painting.
• Lead and instruct others in fabrication techniques.
• Skilled in ‘Build-up’ fabrication.
• Attire units with costume elements such combat boots and shorts.
• Instruct others in painting and detailing techniques as required.
• Organize and maintain workspace, tools and equipment used in performance of duties.
• Re-order basic materials as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO PROCESS SUPERVISOR FINISHING DEPT. AND/OR FINISHING DEPT. HEAD.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor degree in fine or commercial arts, or at least four years of experience working in a paint and fabrication environment, or previous experience as a TFX Final Fabrication, Paint & Finish Technician I.
• Familiarity and experience working with silicone and related materials.
• Excellent manual dexterity and a fine eye for detail.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Expertise with paint, color, and manipulation of artist materials.
• Strong paint gun skills (use and cleaning).
• Facility with artist tools, and small hand and power tools, e.g. brushes, sculpting tools, Dremels, etc.
• Proficient ability to express and understand ideas conceptually in three dimensions.
• Skilled in machine or hand sewing a variety of fabrics, including fur.
• Experienced in the use of notions and closures (zippers, snaps, etc.).
• Proficient sculpting skills.
• Able to lift at least 40 lbs.
Kforce Government Solutions, Inc.
Website : https://www.kforcegov.com
KGS is an innovative technology and professional services provider specializing in Information Technology solutions and comprehensive mission and business support services. We work in close collaboration with our clients to truly understand their business and mission goals. Our approach is to design, build, implement, and manage solutions that measurably improve our client’s organizational performance. KGS is the confident choice to help you solve complex challenges that require unique expertise and inventive problem solving.