3-5 yrs required
Bend, OR, United States
Small but busy law firm in beautiful Bend, Oregon seeks qualified candidate for immediate opening. 3-5 years of experience preferred, but the right candidate may have less. Attorney will be practicing in the areas of Family Law, Criminal Law, Bankruptcy, and Estate Planning. The attorney will be expected to conduct consultations; support senior attorneys and staff attorneys; research case law; prepare and manage cases from start to finish; help clients understand their case and the law.
* Plan case development by studying client information; conferring with partners and staff attorneys.
* Research law by determining research approaches; studying laws, statutes, constitutions, regulations, court opinions, including precedents and reasoning, and trends using standard print texts and computers.
* Develop case strategy by predicting how law applies to client's situation; identifying and evaluating legal options; preparing briefs and memoranda, including legal issues raised by the client's situation, legal rules governing the situation, and how the rules apply to the situation; providing explanations of legal strategies and potential actions; obtaining approval for a course of action.
* Prepares cases by gathering evidence; attending depositions, court hearing, conference calls, and client meetings; reviewing investigative findings; consulting with experts; engaging expert witnesses; preparing and interviewing witnesses; completing discovery process; developing arguments and testimony; completing filings. motions, and submissions; supervising paralegals.
* Manage cases by monitoring schedules; expediting requirements; obtaining and forwarding information.
* Support fellow attorneys at trials and hearings by organizing evidence and exhibits; taking notes; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses arrive as scheduled.
* Help client by initiating and maintaining contact; preparing clients to answer discovery; keeping clients informed of case status.
* Obtain and retain clients by following-up on referrals and consultations.
* Maintain up to date legal knowledge by participating in continuing legal educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
* Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Client Confidentiality, Research Skills, Superior Writing Skills, Written Communication, Legal Compliance, Presentation Skills, Analyzing Information , Client Contact Skills, Interpreting New Laws, Legal Administration Skills, Verbal Communication, the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Qualified applicants will have court experience (other than as a certified law student) and need very little training. This is not a position for beginners. Qualified applicants please apply with a letter of interest, resume, and references.