W.R. Berkley Corporation
7-10 yrs required
W.R. Berkley Corporation is looking for dynamic candidates for their Financial Audit Leader opportunity in Greenwich, CT. The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of internal controls over financial reporting, property and casualty GAAP and Statutory accounting principles, and claims and underwriting operations.
Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation is an insurance holding company that is among the largest commercial lines writers in the United States and operates worldwide in two segments of the property casualty insurance business: Insurance and Reinsurance. Each of the operating units within Berkley participates in a niche market requiring specialized knowledge about a territory or product.
Travel Required: Requires overnight travel (approximately 30%) to Operating Unit locations. Travel is mostly within the United States with some international travel. The US trips are usually 1 or 2 week trips; international could be longer.
About this role
Perform and/or lead financial audits of the W. R. Berkley Corporation’s (WRBC) Shared Services and Operating Units. Financial audits include GAAP financial statement audits, statutory requirements, and internal control processes. Assist in training and supervision of staff auditors.
• Lead and/or perform Operating Unit financial and operational examinations, review work papers, write audit reports and track remediation of audit findings.
• Coordinate and liaise with Internal Audit teams to perform multi-disciplinary audits.
• Perform examinations, and provide expertise, of complex financial, IT, and operational audit areas in accordance with professional audit standards.
• Complete the annual risk assessment to determine both the annual and the multi-year audit plan. Continue to enhance the audit universe and tools used in the assessment process.
• Perform and/or lead Sarbanes-Oxley testing, reporting, and/or remediation efforts.
• Identify, document, and assess business processes and controls in order to evaluate risks and controls.
• Update existing Audit Program Guides and/or develop new ones. Design testing plans/methodologies for areas not previously reviewed.
• Develop and apply alternative audit procedures beyond those contained in standard Audit Program Guides.
• Document audit issues and recommendations using sound, independent judgment.
• Partner with the Department’s IT audit staff to improve audit quality and Department audit practices.
• Build positive working relationships with all auditees, in particular with Senior Management.
• Lead special projects and team initiatives as assigned by management.
• Maintain audit proficiency through self-study training and professional association memberships.
Required Education, Professional Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university.
• A minimum of 7-10 auditing experience (public and/or internal).
• Property & Casualty insurance required
• Supervisory experience required.
• CIA or CPA required.
Required Skills and Characteristics:
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel and Word is a must; knowledge of ACL, PeopleSoft, Hyperion Smart View and RSA Archer audit and compliance modules, a plus.
• Strong work ethic, ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
• Strong business acumen and risk awareness.
• Strong analytical, organizational, project management and communications skills (written and oral).
• Strong knowledge of internal controls over financial reporting (COSO, Sarbanes-Oxley, and Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Professional Practices Framework.
• Strong knowledge of property and casualty GAAP and Statutory accounting principles as well as claims and underwriting operations.
• A willingness to roll up sleeves and get the work done versus delegating.
• Ability to work in an environment with minimal administrative support.
Qualified candidate resumes should be sent by clicking "Apply Now".
W.R. Berkley Corporation
Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation is an insurance holding company that is among the largest commercial lines writers in the United States and operates worldwide in two segments of the property casualty insurance business: Insurance and Reinsurance.Each of the operating units within Berkley participates in a niche market requiring specialized knowledge about a territory or product.