Emerzian Shankar Legal Inc.
Fresno, CA, United States
May 24, 2023
Job Title: Remote Paralegal - Spanish Speaking
Reports To: Shareholder Attorneys
Job Overview: The paralegal will assist attorney(s) by providing support services including document preparation and review; file management; correspondence with clients; scheduling meetings and other clerical tasks; tracking client deadlines; and legal research and brief writing. Areas of practice include employment law and human resources matters, corporate law, business law, education law and landlord-tenant law. Written and verbal fluency in Spanish is required for this position as it involves written and verbal communication with spanish-speaking clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions (i.e., fundamental job duties of the position), subject to attorney supervision, are as follows:
•Conducts legal research, prepares legal memoranda and case briefs.
•Prepares employee handbooks and other human resources documents.
•Prepares corporate formation documents and related filings and minutes.
•Proofreads and formats a wide variety of documents.
•Prepares exhibits and assists with report writing.
•Performs other general clerical and administrative duties as requested, which may includescheduling meetings, answering the firm’s phone line, recordkeeping, event set-up,depositing checks, mailing items and checking the firm’s mail, maintaining officesupplies and coordinating equipment maintenance, and handling packages andcorrespondence.
•Responding professionally to client emails and phone calls.
•Assist with document management within the firm’s cloud-based storage systems.
•Assisting with calendaring of events (non-litigation and litigation).
•Performs other related duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
• Associates degree in Paralegal Studies or related field required (or Paralegal Certificate) or Bachelor's degree and one year of experience working under an attorney.
Required Skills & Abilities
• Must have excellent written and verbal English language communication skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in languages other than English are strongly preferred.
• Understanding of legal language, principles, and research methods (including experience using online research platforms)
• Must have excellent customer service skills.
• Must have excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize to meet deadlines.
• Must have courteous and professional demeanor.
• Must be experienced with remote video conferencing applications such as Zoom.
• Must be experienced with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point (cloud-based platforms such as Office 365 strongly preferred).
• Must be skilled at typing (at least 50 wpm with high rate of accuracy).
• Must be comfortable using text communication and social media (including, Facebook and LinkedIn).
• Must have California drivers’ license.
• Must be emotionally mature and able to take personal responsibility for projects with minimal supervision.
• Must have a can-do attitude, be flexible and be comfortable working in a fast-paced, start-up business culture.
Physical & Work Environment Requirements
• Work environment is remote, home-based location. Must have quiet workspace in home from which to work from cell phone and laptop computer. Laptop and all tools will be provided by ES Legal Inc. Cell phone and home internet service will be reimbursed to employee.
• Prolonged periods of working on a computer.
• Must be able to communicate with attorneys and clients via telephone, text and email.
• Occasionally required to position self to reach items high or low on shelves, or to carry items up to approximately 25 lbs.
• Must be able to drive to or otherwise travel in the Fresno area to various meeting sites.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Emerzian Shankar Legal Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any protected class under California state or federal law. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Emerzian Shankar Legal Inc.