Chief Financial Officer, Preferred Lines
As a key member of the P&C Group Finance Leadership Team, the Preferred Lines CFO will report to the Preferred Lines Executive Vice President and the P&C Group CFO. S/he will serve as the financial expert and trusted advisor to the Preferred Lines EVP. The Preferred Lines CFO will assist the Preferred Lines EVP in leading strategy development and execution designed to provide appropriate financial returns while maximizing growth. The Preferred Lines CFO will lead a finance function charged with performing deep financial analysis, and will work to relentlessly pursue operational improvement. The role is based in Chicago, IL.
• Partner with the Preferred Lines EVP to develop and execute business growth strategies, achieve and maintain target profitability, identify new business development opportunities and capital deployment alternatives.
• With the Preferred Lines EVP to lead the development of an entrepreneurial culture designed to facilitate an innovative approach to the business centered around rapid experimentation.
• To act as a catalyst for innovation - developing meaningful business partnerships to empower idea generation and to create a framework for establishing a rapid test and learn environment.
• Develop, conduct and oversee advanced financial modeling and analysis to inform organizational decision making and initiative prioritization.
• Develop mentor and coach the finance team to create a cohesive, business focused organization.
• Develop and implement automated and standardized reporting for the Preferred P&C segment.
• Lead planning and forecasting for the Preferred P&C segment, working closely with the finance business partners of each business segment and function as well as the corporate finance function.
• Create strategic and financial analysis such as ROI, discounted cash flow and sensitivity analysis to evaluate decisions and the impact of new business opportunity execution.
• Assist in the development of presentations to senior management and the board of directors
• Earn the respect of peers, subordinates and superiors for his/her integrity, ethics and ability to set a standard in leadership.
• Support improvement of Hyperion models and other tools to simplify and enhance the value of financial planning and reporting.
• Work collaboratively with corporate and business segment finance teams to drive continuous improvement in the finance function.
Key Competencies& Skills
• Leadership – Effectively sets a clear vision and direction. To be a catalyst for strategic vision and innovation. Able to gain credibility and respect in the organization through knowledge, presence, intuition, emotional intelligence and sensitivity. Practices participatory management, models behavior required for success and supports a stable and open workplace. Leverages diversity.
• Strategy Development – A proven track record of cultivating an innovative culture and implementation framework to identify, pressure test and execute ideas accretive to a comprehensive strategic vision.
• Teamwork – Able to work collaboratively with colleagues, customers and stakeholders at various levels. Builds strong relationships with key players. Takes a proactive approach to meeting customer needs. Able to work across a matrixed organization, business cultures and geographies
• Financial Acumen – Demonstrated track record of solving complex challenges, proven ability to creatively problem solve.
• Business Acumen – Able to understand the business inside and out. Apply financial information to help lead the broader business towards its objectives. Demonstrated ability to identify, manage and monitor economic indicators of the business and translate into the business to stay ahead of the competition.
• Analytical Skills – Intellectually curious with strong analytical skills and attention to detail. Ability to think strategically and critically.
• Communications – Sends, receives and interprets information clearly, accurately, thoroughly and effectively. Able to distill complex financial information to non-financial professionals in a way that is informative and not condescending. Prepares materials appropriate to the audience in Excel, PowerPoint or other formats.
• People Management – Demonstrated ability to identify, recruit, hire, develop and retain outstanding finance professionals. Skilled and effective in career planning, compensation management, interviewing/selection and performance management.
• Change Management - Experience leading and supporting teams through a period of intense change; able to adapt quickly and be a steady leader through transformational business variation.
• Process Improvement –Able to enhance and drive harmonization of processes and pursue continuous improvement.
• Demonstrated track record of strategy execution, financial, analytical and innovation leadership. The successful applicant will appreciate the rigorous requirements of a public company yet enjoy the challenge of defining and improving processes.
• 10-15 years of progressive business and managerial experience.
• Bachelor Degree required, major in Finance, Economics or Engineering preferred; CPA or MBA from top business school preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in the P&C industry.
Our employees enjoy great benefits:
• Qualify for your choice of health and dental plans within your first month.
• Save for your future with robust 401(k) match, Health Spending Accounts and various retirement plans.
• Learn and Grow with our Tuition Assistance Program, paid certifications and continuing education programs.
• Contribute to your community through United Way and volunteer programs.
• Balance your life with generous paid time off and business casual dress.
• Protect what you love with discounts on home and auto insurance products.
• Get employee discounts for shopping, dining and travel through Kemper Perks.
Kemper at a glance
With $8 billion in assets, Kemper is one of the nation's leading insurers. The Kemper family of companies specializes in home, auto, life, health and valuables insurance products for individuals, families and businesses.
Kemper’s underwriting companies* are rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company, the leading insurance industry rating authority. Kemper services six million policies and ranks among the top 25 personal lines property and casualty writers and the 2016 Ward’s 50 Top Performers list of life insurance companies.
*Alliance United Insurance Company is not rated.
We value diversity and strive to be an employer of choice. An Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
-MO +CB -LJ +GD -IN -MSJ -PT +GIJ
Website : http://www.kemper.com
Kemper is a diversified insurance holding company with subsidiaries that provide an array of products to the individual and small business market. Kemper Personal and Commercial Lines sells Auto, Home and Package Plus policies through independent agencies. Kemper Specialty California sells personal Auto insurance in the state of California through independent agents and brokers to customers who may have had difficulties obtaining or maintaining insurance in the past. Kemper Direct sells Auto and Home by phone and online. Kemper also offers Life and Health Insurance through Kemper Home Service Companies and Reserve National.