2 yrs required
Washington, DC, United States
Jan 22, 2020
The D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center has an opening for a Housing Attorney to help staff our growing housing law practice. The primary role of this position is to staff the D.C. Right to Housing Initiative (Initiative), including the Housing Right to Counsel Project. This attorney is the primary staff person on the Initiative that works to plan and administer legal clinics and other projects for the Pro Bono Center to deliver pro bono legal information, advice and representation to low-income individuals in the District of Columbia. This position reports to the Managing Attorney (MA) who oversees the housing law practice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Evaluating effectiveness and continued relevance of each delivery model.
1. A J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school. A minimum of at least two years related professional work experience in positions of increasing responsibility, including experience handling housing matters. Experience with other areas of the law including consumer, bankruptcy, and/or probate is a plus. Experience with a legal services organization that provides legal services to indigent individuals preferred.
2. An active member of the D.C. Bar.
3. Experience working with volunteers preferred.
4. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
5. Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
6. Ability to work well with Bar officers, Communities volunteers, other staff, and the public and with minimal supervision.
7. Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.