Washington, DC, United States
Role and Responsibilities
* Employees in this job perform a variety of activities designed to service, repair and maintain pieces of fleet-owned heavy equipment. The work is performed through the application of a body of knowledge and specific certifications that denote expertise in heavy equipment maintenance.
EOC Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran Centerra is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and a Tobacco and Drug-Free Workplace.
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by positions in this job classification. Not all duties assigned to every position are included, nor is it expected that all positions will be assigned every duty.
* Performs maintenance and repair activities on various pieces of heavy equipment including but not limited to heavy-duty truck and semi-tractors, material spreader, 6-wheel drive military type vehicles, excavators, skidders, high pressure pumps, 25 ton and smaller bulldozers, graders, cranes, snowmobile groomers, underbody blades, dump bodies, snow plows, crawler tractors and trailers, backhoes, trailers, electronic message boards and signs, street sweepers, aerial towers and man lifts.
* Diagnoses, services and repairs various systems that are found on pieces of heavy equipment such as mechanical and computer electronic controls, air brake systems, transmissions, computer controlled automatic and 13 speed manual transmissions, high voltage generators, propane powered equipment, and pneumatic systems.
* Troubleshoots malfunctions in the equipment and repair.
* Repairs and services track drive sprockets, rails, idler wheels, hard bars, track adjusters, hydraulic reversers, final drives, brake bands, steering clutches and hydrostatic transmissions.
* Ability to use diagnostic equipment.
* Performs routine maintenance checks and adjustments on such things as fluid levels, hoses, belts, brakes, tires, and clutches; changes filters and oil, and lubricates vehicles and motor driven equipment.
* Services, diagnoses, repairs and maintains speed tandem drive axles with air or electric shift, hydrostatic driven, heavy duty multi-axle suspensions, both conventional steel or air springs.
* Tunes gas and diesel engines, services valves, fuel filters and turbo chargers, and pressure checks fuel filters, adjust injector heights, fuel racks, governors, etc.
* Diagnoses problems, disassembles units, repairs or replaces parts, and reassembles units in the following systems:
Brakes: Repairs or replaces shoes, pads, drums, hoses, calipers, cylinders, any heavy-duty air brakes.
Cooling: Flushes radiator, replaces hoses and thermostat, repairs or replaces radiator and water pump, fan drives, DCA treatment filters, air intercoolers and oil coolers.
Drive: Repairs and replaces drive shaft, differential, axle, manual, automatic and sophisticated computer-controlled transmissions, clutches, transfer cases, power take-off systems, transmission reversers, all-wheel drive steering axles and final drives.
Electrical: Repairs or replaces fuses, batteries, lights, instruments, warning devices, controls and switches, computer controls, modules, alternators, starters, and defective cables and wiring. This will include 12 and 24-volt systems found on military equipment.
Exhaust and Emissions Control: Replaces mufflers, manifolds, catalytic converters, turbochargers, blowers, and pipes.
Heating and Air Conditioning: Repairs or replaces heater cores, condensers, compressors, hoses, and controls; recharges air conditioning systems.
Hydraulic: Repairs or replaces pumps, hoses, valves, winches and cylinders.
Air: Repairs or replaces compressors, air dryers, brake valves, air tanks and hoses.
Steering and Suspension System: Aligns and balances wheels, repairs or replaces tie rods, ball joints, gear boxes, shock absorbers, springs, steering linkage, kingpins, power steering, hoses, pumps, walking beam suspensions and air suspensions.
Coupling Devices: Adjusts, repairs, inspects and replaces fifth wheel hitches and pintle hitches.
Overhauls engines, replaces engines, and rebuilds components.
Maintains service logs and records of maintenance on vehicles and motorized equipment, using fleet maintenance and management software.
Keeps tools, equipment, and work area clean, organized, and in good working condition.
Road tests vehicles.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
* Two years of experience assisting skilled trades people in the repair and maintenance of heavy equipment.
* Possession of an associate's degree in Heavy Duty Truck/Heavy Equipment Repair may be substituted for two years of experience assisting skilled trades people in the repair and maintenance of heavy equipment.
* High School Diploma or equivalent
* Must be 18 years of age
* Valid state driver license
* Must be able to pass a Federal Background Check and drug screen
* Continuing employment will require possession of the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) This license must be obtained within six months from the date of the appointment.
* Equivalent combinations of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Race/Color/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Vet
Washington, District Of Columbia, United States
Website : https://constellis.com/