The Senior Counsel of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. (AFP) will report to the organization's General Counsel. The responsibility of the Senior Counsel will be to provide timely and effective legal advice to in-house clients primarily related to political and campaign finance law, both federal and state, with occasional involvement in contracts, personnel matters, finance, tax, business operations, and intellectual property.
- Provide legal guidance regarding the variety of legal issues impacting the organization.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to exempt non-profit organizations, lobbying, and campaign finance laws.
- Review outside contracts, draft internal contracts, and at times negotiate contractual terms on behalf of the organizations.
- Participate in the development of organizational policies, procedures, and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Analyze and interpret laws, statutes, and regulations in numerous areas.
- Provide staff training and mentoring to in-house clients to ensure compliance with all laws, regulations, and company policies.
A SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
- Strong commitment to advancing the organization's vision of a more free and open society that fosters long-term peace, human dignity, and well-being where people succeed by helping others
- High ethical standards, integrity, humility, and an entrepreneurial attitude
- Effective oral and written communication skills to translate legal concepts for non-lawyers and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work closely with the business and collaborate with and engage other internal legal resources to apply specialized expertise when required
- Apply combined business and legal judgment to resolve matters
- Ability to direct and manage multiple projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Juris Doctor degree and license in good standing with a state bar, Virginia preferred
- 3 years of relevant experience
- Exposure to and/or familiarity with the following areas of law: exempt non-profit organizations, lobbying, and campaign finance. Understanding of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations a plus
- Willingness to travel on an occasional basis
WHAT WILL PUT YOU AHEAD (PREFERRED):
- Advanced oral and written Spanish skills welcome
- Federal election and campaign finance experience
- Tax experience (non-profit law, tax compliance)
- Previous supervisory experience
Americans for Prosperity