Yosemite Community College District
Modesto, CA, United States
Under general supervision, performs custodial work by maintaining the cleanliness of assigned facility areas, groups of buildings, and office spaces based on a predetermined schedule; observes and reports concerns involving general campus maintenance and security; and performs related work as assigned.
This is the full working level class of the Custodial Series within the Yosemite Community College District (
). Positions in this class perform journey-level custodial and related duties in order to maintain campus facilities in a clean, orderly and secure manner.
This class can be distinguished from the higher-level class of Custodian Lead because incumbents in that class serve as lead workers for an assigned area or shift, with responsibility for the work of subordinate staff on a regular basis.
Incumbents in this class work under the general supervision of a Custodian Supervisor or manager, working alone on routine or regular work assignments and checking with the supervisor on non-routine assignments or when in doubt as to the correct procedures to follow.
Incumbents do not directly or indirectly lead or supervise other employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Basic cleaning methods, procedures, and techniques.
• Cleaning materials, supplies, and equipment.
• Safe working methods and procedures.
• Operations, services and activities of a custodial program.
• Tools, equipment and supplies used in providing comprehensive custodial and minor building maintenance services.
• Principles of sanitation and disinfecting.
• Safe use of various cleaning chemicals and supplies.
• Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
• Perform moderate to heavy manual activities.
• Perform a variety of custodial and routine maintenance activities.
• Interpret, explain and enforce department policies and procedures.
• Utilize a variety of cleaning chemicals, supplies, and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
• Identify custodial and maintenance needs and initiate corrective actions.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as needed.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education, experience and/or training that would likely provide the above-required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Typical background patterns that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities are:
• Education: Possession of a High School diploma or
• Experience: One year performing duties related to the care and cleaning of buildings and facilities.
Example of Duties
• Sweeps, mops, strips, waxes and seals floors.
• Vacuums and spot cleans rugs and carpets.
• Dusts, washes and polishes furniture and woodwork; polishes metalwork.
• Empties and cleans waste receptacles, including trash barrels.
• Cleans restrooms, locker rooms and showers.
• Washes windows and walls; cleans chalkboards; cleans window coverings, such as drapes or blinds.
• Moves and arranges furniture and equipment in preparing multipurpose rooms or classrooms for special events or meetings.
• Replaces light bulbs and lighting tubes.
• Picks up paper and other debris from school grounds, walk areas, and the areas adjacent to school facilities.
• Assists with the material recycling program.
• Sweeps and cleans concrete surfaces adjacent to buildings and facilities; cleans surfaces using a high-pressure washer as needed.
• Performs emergency cleanup services resulting from breakage, vandalism, spilling and illness, using proper procedures for handling potential hazardous waste.
• Assists in receiving and distributing supplies and equipment.
• Performs minor maintenance tasks in keeping assigned areas safe and operational.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licenses and Certificates
• Depending upon assignment, a valid license to drive in California may be required.
Physical and Mental Standards
• Mobility: ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and ramps; walk or stand for extended periods.
• Dexterity: must have a full range of motion in the upper extremities; manual dexterity to operate equipment and use hand tools, and handle and work with various materials and objects.
• Lifting: frequently lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects up to 50 pounds; occasional lift objects up to 75 pounds.
• Visual Requirements: close vision sufficient to read labels and documents; ability to adjust focus frequently.
• Hearing/Talking: ability to hear normal speech, speak and hear on the telephone, and speak in person.
• Emotional/Psychological Factors: frequent working alone; some public contact.
Additional Applicant Information
Applications are accepted online only at:
Select Job Openings, Select Search Jobs, Select Job Title, Create an account and Apply to this job.
Applications will be reviewed by a screening committee. Those applicants selected for personal interview will be notified by letter or phone. In accordance with Board policy official offers of employment will be made only by the Chancellor or Vice Chancellor/Human Resources,
. Final appointment is subject to confirmation by the Board of Trustees.
Federal law requires the District employ only US citizens and aliens authorized to work in the United States. Written verification of employment eligibility is required.
: A background investigation of new employees is required, including reference checks and a state criminal history report. Employment will not begin until the history check has been cleared by Human Resources. The cost for the criminal history report will be the responsibility of the successful candidate.
The District may hire more than one applicant with this applicant pool.
is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Yosemite Community College District
Website : http://www.yosemite.edu