Seattle, WA, United States
Oct 09, 2021
Salary Range: 75,000.00 to 115,000.00
The ideal candidate administers, configures, monitors, supports, and oversees specialized computer applications in assigned area of responsibility, including fare system applications, Microsoft Azure, Active Directory, Azure SQL, service desk software, Atlassian Jira, system monitoring software, SharePoint Online, and other tools/applications as needed. This is an integral role for the System Operations Team, part of the Regional ORCA Operating Team (ROOT). The ROOT supports the regional ORCA Fare System, and its seven Agency owners (ORCA Agencies).
Implements, analyzes, maintains, configures, troubleshoots, resolves, and performs enhancements and architecture for systems and application problems; interacts directly with application users and coordinates projects and activities; provides end-user support, account creation and management; researches and identifies effective software and system solutions to meet established Agency goals.
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Provides technical support to partner agency and ROOT staff for fare system applications, tools, and field devices, as well as supporting applications.
• Performs service desk functions; receives inbound and performs outbound communication; manages incidents and problems, including triage, escalation, and stakeholder communication.
• Monitors enterprise level system performance and responds to system events; installs updates, patches and software fixes; works with partner agency/ROOT staff to ensure appropriate solutions are implemented.
• Coordinates ORCA systems with vendors on resolutions to issues list; provides detailed information on process and gathering information to create a fix; applies fixes and determines if solution has resolved the issue.
• Assists with the change management process; participates in use-case and regression testing, monitors and performs post-release performance evaluation.
• Performs root cause analysis and develops/implements mitigation actions to ensure continuous improvement.
• Assists or leads in the development of custom tools and processes to augment vendor-provided or off-the-shelf solutions.
• Administers, configures, and maintains applications in cloud environments (Azure, Google/Android app developer network, and others), networked servers and desktop computers; creates user accounts, configures user permissions, and maintains folders security.
• Implements, upgrades and updates applications; meets with managers and users to identify needs and determine functional and process requirements.
• Coordinates with software vendors to ensure quality and completeness of final product; develops optimum enterprise level software configurations to achieve application functional goals; evaluates and tests new or enhanced business applications; installs or upgrades network business application and hardware.
• Provides system administration and technical support functions; oversees account management, account creation, changes, and deletion; performs application and technical process support, error support (troubleshooting), and enhancement support; and performs maintenance and system security as required/needed.
• Participates in preventative/corrective maintenance to ensure that patches and critical updates are applied to the infrastructure servers; documents work performed and maintains accurate change management records; updates server documentation via run books and processes documentation as needed. Preventative/corrective maintenance may occasionally take place outside of regular business hours as needed.
• Interacts with internal and external customers for planning, coordination, backups, interfaces, system upgrades, and enhancements; directs final tier end-user support for problem resolution; maintains and updates documentation, licensees, and user/system requirements; writes documentation on new and enhanced application description and functional capabilities; and prepares and updates user materials and procedures manuals.
• Provides support to the ROOT and partner agencies on matters as directed; serves as staff on a variety of committees; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency/ROOT policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
• Support and encourage inclusion and diversity for better problem solving, respecting and enabling an environment that prides individual differences.
• Champions and models Sound Transit's core values and demonstrates values-based behaviors in everyday interactions across the agency.
• Contributes to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion in alignment with Sound Transit’s Equity & Inclusion Policy.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities, which could include systems, operations, and/or other employees.
• It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in computer science, information technology, business administration, engineering, or closely related field and four years of information technology experience in supporting and administering enterprise level software, configurating, implementing, upgrading, and providing help desk/end-user support and change management experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Intermediate understanding and working knowledge of Azure services, applications, and tools, including Azure Active Directory, RDP/RDS, monitoring, Azure networking and configuration, and Azure monitoring/administration.
• Solid understanding and work experience in service desk ticketing and IT monitoring systems.
• Understanding of TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, security certificates, domain management, backup and restore, and disaster recovery concepts.
• Operational characteristics of a variety of computer and network systems, applications, hardware, software and peripheral equipment, including enterprise financial systems, business intelligence, and reporting tools.
• Principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of systems and applications.
• Principles and practices of enterprise system design, development, analysis, testing, and security administration.
• Principles and practices of system software and hardware installation and troubleshooting.
• Functional structure of various operating system components, including system control programs and data access methods.
• Methods and techniques of developing technical manuals and instructional materials.
• Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
• Principles of customer service.
• Good understanding of ITIL/ITSM best practices.
• Administering enterprise-level server applications with client or web user interfaces, especially strong understanding and work experience with Microsoft Azure, including Azure Active Directory, Azure SQL DB, networking, environments, and associated tools.
• Working experience with SQL (T-SQL), including: DML (select, insert, update, and delete) and DDL (create, alter, drop) for tables, indexes, constraints, stored procedures, functions.
• Troubleshooting computer systems, including servers, applications, networks, and operating systems.
• Technical skills necessary for configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance of conventional Active Directory, including roles, objects, users, and groups.
• Configuration and administration of SSH, VPN, SSL, cryptographic keys, and other security controls.
• Experience using service-desk software for managing incidents, problems, requests, and changes.
• Configuring and utilizing IT monitoring tools.
• Installing, troubleshooting, upgrading, testing and supporting systems programs and applications.
• Creating, interpreting, and administering complex policies and procedures.
• Working with vendors to report and track application and technical issues.
• Researching, analyzing, and evaluating new service delivery methods.
• Preparing clear, concise, and comprehensive reports and written materials.
• Reading, interpreting, and applying technical publications, manuals, and other documents.
• Demonstrating a positive customer service orientation with both internal and external clients.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
• Intermediate understanding of SQL database architecture, design principles, and associated maintenance tasks.
• Intermediate understanding of extract-transform-load (ETL) jobs (defining sources, targets, mapping, workflows).
• Familiarity with Azure Data Factory.
• In-depth understanding of Atlassian Jira Service Desk and Core software.
• Power BI Desktop and Power BI Services (Premium), including workspaces and security,
• Administering, tuning, and troubleshooting SQL databases.
• Creating, executing, and troubleshooting extract-transform-load (ETL) jobs – both SSIS and Azure Data Factory.
• Query plan analysis and optimization, SQL Agent jobs, higher-level SQL Server configuration, etc. are desired.
• Configuration and administration of Azure security, logging, and exception reporting.
• Configuring and administration of Jira workflows, forms, tables, processes, and automation rules.
• Creating system performance dashboards.
• Power BI Services (Premium) configuration, monitoring, and administration.
• Experience working in the public or government sectors and fare collection systems.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
• Work is performed in a standard office environment.
• Subject to standing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 40 pounds; may occasionally be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme temperatures, and extreme noise when working in the data center environment or when working in the field.
• The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate safety and equipment training for all personnel as required.
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)