5 yrs required
Springfield, MA, United States
Job Title: Staff Attorney, Employee Benefits
Job Summary: This position provides support for legal, regulatory and compliance matters on a broad spectrum of issues that arise under state and federal laws, with solid emphasis on employee benefits and ERISA, as well as general insurance laws and regulation, and contracting with all types of business partners. Responsible for maintaining company compliance in numerous states. Provides practical, business-oriented legal advice to assist the company in meeting legal and compliance objectives through an in-depth understanding of the evolving applicable laws, rules and regulations, along with assessing and applying the requirements of various business partners and internal/external stakeholders. Maintains a thorough understanding of company business objectives and acts as a trusted business partner for continually informing, educating and documenting the organization’s legal and compliance foundations.
• Juris Doctor degree; admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (additional states a plus).
• Five plus years of legal experience, either at a law firm, in house, or a combination thereof.
• Ability to research, interpret, and apply state and federal laws and regulations with a view to operations.
• Experience with employee benefits, ERISA, corporate and insurance legal areas.
• Highly developed conceptual/analytical skills.
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in the ability to relate and assist with quickly operationalizing new matters in a fast-growing company.
• Makes decisions with a sense of urgency, prioritizing possibilities and opportunities, and balancing information with the ability to act quickly when necessary.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills; proficient computer skills in MS Office products.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Maintains ongoing subject matter expertise in relevant laws/regulations and areas for compliance as they arise under state/federal/international laws with a particularly deep emphasis on employee benefits and ERISA.
• Responsible for maintaining and constantly refining the Workplace Compliance Program, and works to identify and minimize risk to the organization
• Assists the Chief Legal Officer with representing the company in interactions with federal and state agencies.
• Pursues and maintains current knowledge of significant legislative and regulatory developments that may affect the company’s business. Communicates and operationalizes changes in legislation and regulation with operational areas.
• Provides a variety of counsel and support to the Legal team and to groups within the company.
• Develops and oversees departmental workflow procedures and keeps the company up-to-date regarding state/federal regulations and compliance obligations.
• Drafts and reviews contracts, policies and other legal/compliance documents and materials.
• Perform other duties as assigned
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Reporting to: Chief Legal Officer
Wellfleet offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits package including life, health and dental, vision, PTO days, paid holidays, 401K retirement plan with match, short- and long-term disability, flexible/dependent care spending account, tuition reimbursement, and business casual dress along with a great work environment where people thrive!
For more than 25 years, Wellfleet has provided health and accident insurance solutions that help people protect themselves from risk and maintain healthy lives. Our approach has always been to provide customer-centric insurance solutions, by being accessible, responsive, and flexible, and with uncompromising ethics. 2019 is a year of change, with the new Wellfleet name, brand, and corporate structure, as well as a new line of products sold at the workplace. Wellfleet’s four divisions – Wellfleet Student Health, Wellfleet Special Risk, Wellfleet Rx, and Wellfleet Workplace – bring clients and members a range of accident and health insurance solutions, delivered with quality service and uncompromising ethics.