The American Institute of Architects
4 yrs required
Washington, DC, United States
This is a professional position in the AIA Contract Documents & Risk Management department. AIA Contract Documents are created and produced by the AIA Contract Documents Content Team in collaboration with a volunteer committee. Working with a small group of volunteers, the incumbent uses skills in legal research and writing, contract drafting and editing, and organization and coordination to create and revise AIA Contract Documents. The incumbent also writes and edits material needed for the development, production, promotion, and delivery of AIA Contract Documents, and provides education and assistance to AIA Contract Document users.
In conjunction with the Managing Director and Counsel for AIA Contract Documents & Risk Management, the Director and Counsel Contract Documents & Risk Management, other members of the Contract Documents Content team, and the Risk Management Committee, the incumbent also uses skills in legal research and writing, organization, and coordination to create and revise material and educational programing for the AIA Risk Management Program.
This position is considered a core staff position. In order to provide AIA members and customers with services during weather events or similar extraordinary circumstances, the incumbent will telework and continue to serve our members and customers unless they encounter circumstances that prevent them from working at home.
Writing, editing, coordinating, and presenting including, but not limited to, the following:
· Edit AIA Contract Document drafts to ensure (1) consistency within the document and with parallel language in other related documents, (2) grammatical accuracy, and (3) conformance to the AIA style for contract documents.
· Perform legal research, and prepare case briefs and legal memoranda as needed to clarify contract issues.
· Issue document drafts to outside organizations for comment; organize, synthesize and record, or oversee the recording of, comments for committee review; coordinate discussion of comments, and record committee responses and action.
· Create and maintain accurate written and electronic records of drafts, correspondence, and meetings.
· Write and/or edit AIA Contract Document user instructions and guides.
· As needed, write and/or edit, educational, explanatory, and promotional material on AIA Documents for Institute newsletters, the AIA’s Web site, and other publications.
· As needed, prepare and/or edit presentations on contract documents topics for presentation by the incumbent or other AIA spokespersons.
· As needed, prepare document synopses and abstracts.
· Edit documents for publication.
· Assist in developing, reviewing, and testing AIA Contract Documents software.
· Attend Documents Committee meetings (as scheduled) and prepare minutes.
· Provide staff support to one or more assigned task group(s) of committee members.
· Rotating with other AIA Contract Documents Content Team Counsel, provide assistance to documents users regarding the content of AIA documents via e-mail and telephone, and record questions and answers.
· Represent the Documents and Risk Management Programs at official AIA functions, such as National Convention and other AIA events.
· Attend meetings, participate in conference calls, and represent the Documents Program at the American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law and other legal professional and trade associations.
· As needed, and in conjunction with the Managing Director and Counsel for AIA Contract Documents and Risk Management, the Director and Counsel Contract Documents & Risk Management, other members of the Contract Documents Content team, and the Risk Management Committee, create and revise material and educational programing for the AIA Risk Management Program.
· As needed, assist in the planning, editing, distribution and compilation of the Professional Liability Insurance Survey, and attend the Professional Liability Insurance interviews, in conjunction with ACEC, NSPE, the AIA Trust, members of the Risk Management Committee, and other members of the Contract Documents Content team, and prepare written materials associated with the interviews and survey.
-Managing Director and Counsel
-Contract Documents Team
-AIA Documents Committee
-AIA General Counsel’s Office
-Professional and Industry Associations
-Outside legal and insurance counsel
-Current and prospective document users
-Other AIA staff
KSAs- Training and Experience:
Demonstrated skill in legal and basic writing and editing. Skill in the use of Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Strong attention to detail. Skill in organizing and prioritizing tasks. Experience in contract drafting. Skill in legal research and analysis.
J.D., Bar Membership in at least one state, and 4 or more years of relevant experience required. Contract law experience and knowledge of the contracts used in the design and construction industry is required. Construction litigation experience, law firm experience, or in-house counsel experience with a mid-size to large design or construction entity or owner, preferred. Some travel is required.
Supervisory Requirements: None.
The American Institute of Architects
Website : https://www.aia.org/
The AIA, in existence for more than 150 years, works to advance the value of architects and architecture and increase the living standards of people by improving their built environments. The AIA, with a membership of over 90,000, is the largest voice of the architectural community. *Educating the public to strengthen the value of architects and the overall role of the profession in the building industry. *Using our influence in legislative and regulatory concerns that affect and potentially govern the professional lives of architects. *Researching new job markets and new career specializations to ensure architects can meet society's needs now, and in the future. *Expanding the architectural knowledge base as changes in the profession occur. *Offering a network for support and information exchange with colleagues and industry professionals across the country and the globe. The AIA offers outstanding benefits include matched 401k up to 5%, tuition reimbursement, 26 PTOs (not including observed federal holidays) and much more.