Oakland, CA, United States
Aug 19, 2020
Position: Press Secretary
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Oakland or Los Angeles
SEIU-United Healthcare Workers West (SEIU-UHW), a progressive, statewide California union of more than 100,000 hospital workers, patients, and healthcare activists, has an immediate opening for a Press Secretary to develop and execute our media relations strategy and serve as a spokesperson engaging with local, state, and national reporters.
The ideal candidate is a strong writer and communicator who is passionate about healthcare and feels called to work on behalf of the healthcare workers on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic. This job would be a great fit if you love to learn and test new ideas, enjoy the thrill of advocacy and campaigns, or are drawn to fighting for social justice and improving the lives of working people and their families.
The Press Secretary performs a wide range of duties to promote and support our Healthcare Justice mission of securing affordable, accessible, high-quality care for everyone provided by valued, respected healthcare workers everywhere, including:
Requirements and qualifications:
• Previous experience in a newsroom or in public relations work, preferably with experience working with California media (5+ years preferred).
• Demonstrated experience in performing pro-active media outreach, maintaining good working relationships with journalists and generating positive media coverage.
• Excellent writing and oral communications skills (media/press-specific).
• Bilingual English-Spanish strongly preferred.
• An entrepreneurial and creative mindset to develop ideas that generate media coverage and define core campaign issues.
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds/cultures.
• Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
• Commitment to social justice for all people.
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours.
• Willingness to travel.
• Previous experience with/knowledge of labor unions, political campaigns, and/or other advocacy organizations strongly preferred.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
• Reports to the Communications Director and Public Affairs Director.
• A high level of independent judgment and initiative is required.
• Able to work with elected leaders, members and staff in complex and sometimes sensitive political situations.
• Able to handle multiple "priority" projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
• Position may include leading other staff in a non-management role.
* Writing test required.
SEIU-UHW is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. To apply please visit our candidate portal at