NYU Langone Medical Center
New York City, NY, United States
May 21, 2023
Sep 03, 2023
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health
, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. At NYU Langone Health, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental values. We strive to be a place where our exceptionally talented faculty, staff, and students of all identities can thrive. We embrace diversity, inclusion, and individual skills, ideas, and knowledge.
For more information, go to
, and interact with us on
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Faculty Group Practice Medical Assistant - **Rego Park/Bilingual Russian highly preferred**.
In this role, the successful candidate The Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting physicians and/or Advanced Care Practitioners and nurses in providing patient care. This role is responsible for validating patient identifiers, preparing patients and rooms for examination, measuring and recording vital signs, drawing blood, and collecting other lab samples. The Medial Assistant is also responsible for administrative tasks, such as, scheduling appointments, answering phone calls, and performing data entry.
• Escorts patients to exam rooms
• Cleans and stocks exam rooms
• Measures and records patient vital signs
• Obtains and processes blood samples as per NYULH policy
• Support squality initiatives by following FGP guidelines for collecting and documenting information in the EMR
• Promotes a positive patient experience
• Communicates effectively with providers and administrative staff, escalate issues
• Answers phone calls
• Reviews and respond to inbasket messages
• Follows up on Rx refill requests
• Assists physician with patient intake & transcribing visit into EPIC
• Performs other duties as needed
Clinical & Administrative Responsibilities
• Completes necessary intake which includes obtaining patient vital signs and other tests within defined scope of practice as needed.
• Follows guidelines for validating patient medical record when accessing and updating information, including patient name and date of birth.
• Assists with maintaining patient flow to and from exam rooms and treatment areas. Assists in escorting patients and specimens throughout the facility.
• Ensures exam rooms and treatment areas are cleaned per infection control standards after each patient.
• Communicates the functionality and purpose of MyChart to patients during intake
• Ensures the appropriate translation services or equipment is in place prior to the start of visit
• Assists with blood/specimen collection and ensures proper handling and processing of patient specimens as as per organizational policy & procedure.
• Performs Point of Care testing such as: EKG, Glucose Testing, and Pregnancy Test, Urinalysis, following organizational policy & procedure, and with documentation of any required competency in place.
• Preps the appropriate patient encounter ensuring that all relevant information for visit is up-to-date including bloodwork, radiology images, medications, and past medical history.
• Reviews and imports any “Prepare for your Visit”, “Outside Information” and patient history prior to provider encounter
• Works with clinical team to ensure logbooks related to equipment, specimen collection and other clinical safety measures are followed per FGP standards.
• Supports best practice workflows for MIPS by updating medical records with patient vital signs and Histories (Immunization, Medical & Surgical). May also be required to scan and/or upload diagnostic reports according to their description and link them to their associated order in Epic.
• Maintains patient privacy as it relates to HIPPA standards.
• Handles appropriate patient calls and documents outcome of all patient communications as needed. Refers all clinical questions/concerns to RN/Provider.
• Assists with inbasket message management including any necessary tasks related to patient medical advice requests as per best practices
• Utilizes EPIC functionality to review and update patient records as well as maintain communication with peers and supervisors related to patient care
• Assists physicians with procedure and/or set-up according to the specialty where necessary
• Stocks exam/treatment rooms and/or supply closets with medical supplies, linen and medical equipment as needed. Effectively communicates as supplies need to be replenished.
• Cleans and sterilizes designated equipment after use, , following organizational policy & guidelines, and with documentation of required competency in place.
• Supports FGP Clinical Quality Management by facilitating appropriate documentation and maintenance of clinical supplies and equipment.
• Reviews appropriate downtime procedures as it relates to patient visit
• Completes annual competencies such as Fire Safety, Hazardous Waste, Medsled, HIPPA compliance, etc.
• Partners with administrative and clinical personnel to complete prior authorization, medication refills and referrals related to patient continuity of care.
• Assists with prescription refill request by locating requested prescription in EMR, identifying last patient visit, and tasking RN, LPN, or Provider to evaluate, set up and/or process for renewal
• Accompanies physician into exam room and transcribes history, including history of present illness, past medical and surgical history, family and social histories, medications and allergies, physical exam, laboratory and radiologic orders as dictated by the MD and document accurately the physician's encounter with the patient.
• List all proper diagnoses and symptoms as well as follow up instructions and prescriptions as dictated by the physician.
• Documents patient orders including laboratory tests, radiology tests, medications, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Patient Experience and Access
• Drives consistency in every patient and colleague encounter by embodying the core principles of our FGP Service Strategy CARES (Connect, Align, Respond, Ensure, and Sign-Off)
• Greets patients warmly and professionally, stating name and role, and clearly communicates each step of the care/interaction as appropriate
• Works collaboratively with colleagues and site management to ensure a positive experience and timely resolution for all patient interactions and inquiries whether in person, by phone or via electronic messaging.
• Proactively anticipates patient needs, and participates in service recovery by applying the LEARN model (Listen, Empathize, Apologize, Resolve, Notify), and escalates to leadership as appropriate.
NYU Langone Medical Center
Website : http://www.med.nyu.edu