Palm Springs, CA, United States
May 21, 2020
Sep 03, 2020
Pathology Lab Supervisor Full Time','!*!
Directly responsible for the following duties through actual
performance or delegation:
The Pathology Tissue Lab Supervisor is a Pathologists’
Assistant certified through the American Society of Clinical Pathology and the
College of American Pathologists. They provide accurate and timely
processing of a variety of laboratory specimens, including comprehensive
macroscopic examination and evaluation of all surgical pathological
specimens. The Tissue Lab Supervisor will also assist in postmortem
examinations and procedures, when necessary.
Additionally, the Tissue Lab Supervisor ensures that all
equipment is in proper working condition, orders necessary supplies, maintains
quality control programs and corrective actions, reviews and revises department
procedures, meets regulatory requirements and inspection standards, and
understands the physiological and psychological differences created by age,
sex, and abilities and applies them to the preanalytic, analytic, and
postanalytic components of laboratory testing.
Communicates with physicians and other hospital personnel
concerning problems, appropriateness of testing, and interpretation of results.
Provides technical assistance when necessary. Available after hours for
consultation and assistance with frozen section preparation when needed.
Assists in preparing, coordinating, and meeting operational budget for cost
center. Ensures quality indicator data is submitted by monthly
deadlines. Instructs and schedules teaching/training duties.
Coordinates development of new testing methods and changed testing
methods. Participates in quality assurance and safety projects.
Serves on department and hospital committees as assigned. Coordinates
orientation and competencies for employees.
Conducts all related duties as a professional member of the
health care team. Is responsible for adherence and enforcement of all
Hospital and Laboratory department policies, to include those intended to
prevent the accidental and unnecessary exposure of self/patient or other
employees to safety hazards. Other duties as assigned by Laboratory
Administrative Director. Demographic information, limited Patient Health
Information related to job function.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
• Surgical Pathology – Pre-analytic tasks (specimen
accessioning and labeling), macroscopic description and dissection, tissue
sampling, special surgical procedures (e.g., frozen sections, slide
preparation, decal procedures, tumor mapping), imaging (x-rays and
photographic), and post-analytic tasks.
• Autopsy Pathology – Prosection of adult,
neonatal/perinatal, pediatric, forensic, or infectious autopsies.
Preparation of Preliminary and Final Autopsy Diagnoses.
• Directs and manages the operations/services of the section
within prescribed policies and guidelines of the department and organization.
• Ensures that policy and procedure manuals are current and
are reviewed regularly by all staff members; reviews and revises policies and
procedures every two years and/or as necessary.
• Develops short-term and long-term goals and objectives for
the section consistent with those of the department and organization; submits
and discusses established goals and objectives with administration biannually.
• Promotes good staffing practices by maximizing the
utilization of human resources; forecasts and anticipates the personnel needs
of the section with regard to fluctuations in the workload; maintains staffing
at standards established by productivity management.
• Ensures that competencies exist for each member of the
staff; ensures that all competencies are completed by the end of each calendar
• Coordinates and/or trains and develops staff members for
new responsibilities and authority as section or departmental needs dictate.
• Continually monitors the section's activities and takes
appropriate action to ensure efficient and effective operation; observes
ongoing operations and analyzes performance to identify potential problems.
• Assesses and implements staff development and
cross-training, as needed.
• Facilitates and participates in section and department
specific orientation for all new employees.
• Supports all Hospital Programs to include but not limited
to quality improvement, risk management, safety, and infection control.
• Establishes, maintains, and promotes effective internal
and external lines of communications; provides leadership (role model) for the
• Maintains a good working rapport with all staff and other
departments requiring frequent interactions and coordination of efforts.
• Establishes and maintains a routine mode of communication
with staff (e.g., weekly/monthly staff meetings) and a written communication
tool (e.g., email).
• Communicates self and staff concerns and problems through
proper written and verbal channels.
• Communicates, cooperates, and performs related duties with
other members of the hospital staff and administration in a courteous and
efficient manner to achieve overall hospital goals and objectives.
• Acts as a team member within the department and within the
• Schedules the collection of data for priority issues and
as part of an ongoing process of continuing the measurement of departmental
• Monitors the results of the measurement of performance.
• Improves the process when measurement indicates room for
• Reports to work as scheduled, in accordance with hospital
policy, and takes responsibility to prevent absences and tardiness.
• Demonstrates a consistently well-organized approach to all
• Complies with hospital policy regarding breaks and lunch
• Complies with hospital and department policies regarding
scheduled time off (vacation) requests.
• Practices appropriate safety and infection control
• Maintains clean and safe work areas.
• Reports safety hazards to appropriate personnel
• Attends all mandatory safety sessions.
• Participates in regular departmental safety reviews.
• Accepts work assignment readily
• Supports all Lab and Hospital structural standards (i.e.
policies, procedures and regulations)
• Wears photo I.D. badge at all times while on hospital
• Provides proper identification in personal and phone
• Respects the patient’s right to privacy by only discussing
clinically relevant information in appropriate surrounding.
• Responds to difficult situations with self-control and
• Communicates with co-workers with clarity and respect
• Shares responsibilities and willingly offers assistance to
• Recognizes and acknowledges the contribution of each
department/specialty. Encourages interdepartmental communication and team-work.
• Sensitive to cultural, religious, sexual diversity
','!*!POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:Required:Successful completion of a Pathologists’ Assistant program certified by National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) and certification as a Pathologists’ Assistant by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP BOC).At least one year of full time experience in a surgical pathology suite under the direction of a board certified Anatomic Pathologist.Good organizational and management skills necessary. Ability to resolve problem situations. Position requires excellent physical stamina, which includes the ability to walk or stand from 6-12 hours a day, do repetitive bending/reaching, climbing of stairs, and sitting. Ability to carry 10 pounds constantly and lift up to 50 pounds on occasion. Position requires constant repetitive motion, using hands, fingers, wrists to perform testing. Able to work at computer terminals for varying periods of the day which can range from one to three minutes or as long as several hours. Requires emotional stamina to handle the unexpected and stressful situations that may arise while working in a busy surgical suite. Must be able to hear and speak the English language well enough to communicate instructions by spoken conversation and phone. Must be able to see well enough to read labels, reports, and computer screens. Ability to perform all duties and/or move around in areas of restricted space. Ability to evaluate each situation and handle it with the utmost professionalism. Dedication and concern for the health and welfare of others. ','Pathology/Histotech','CA-Palm Springs','','Desert Regional Medical Center','Full-time','Full-time','Days','Days','','','','','','','2005015023','Pathology Lab Supervisor Full Time
Website : http://www.tenethealth.com